Events such as Hurricane Katrina, the wildfires in California, and the terrorist attacks of September 11 have encouraged people to think about planning for disasters before they happen. While it doesn't make sense to panic unnecessarily, it does make sense to be prepared -- just in case.
The Arc of Frederick County is pleased to offer the "Grab and Go Emergency Book". This PDF document can be printed out and used to help individuals with developmental disabilities plan for emergencies.
Other organizations offer helpful information and brochures. Please visit these websites for the brochures or other emergency preparedness information:
- Preparing for Disaster for People with Disabilities and other Special Needs - FEMA and American Red Cross (PDF)
- Maryland Department of Disabilities Emergency Preparedness Page
- Preparing and Planning - from Ready.gov
- Emergency Readiness for People with Disabilities - from the CDC website
- ADA Guide to Making Emergency Preparedness and Response Programs Accessible to People with Disabilities