The Arc of Frederick County
620-A Research Court
Frederick, Maryland 21703
The Arc of Frederick County provides advocacy, access to resources, and assistance in increasing individual and family connections for people with developmental disabilities. The organization seeks creative solutions to help people with developmental disabilities attain their goals.
Facts about The Arc of Frederick County
The Arc of Frederick County provides individually designed support services and collaborates with the community to build inclusive programs for adults and children with developmental disabilities. Founded by parents in 1958 because community programs for children and adults with disabilities did not exist, The Arc continues to be a leader in advocacy efforts and the creation of new services for families today.
Programs and Services provided by The Arc include....
- Information and Referral services for anyone who contacts The Arc and needs connections to community resources
- Employment - location of career opportunities for students transitioning from school and adults with developmental disabilities
- Real World weekends to support adults with independent living skills challenges that will prepare someone to move into their own home
- Sibling workshops for brothers and sisters of kids with developmental disabilities
- Hispanic Outreach to further our efforts among the growing Spanish speaking population in Frederick County
- Training seminars for self-advocates, parents, siblings, professionals, and other community members covering topics such as school advocacy, creative employment options, and navigation through social service systems
- Service Coordination for children with autism
- Funding Conduit Services where people are in charge of hiring their own staff
- Futures and Estate Planning to help parents plan for their child's needs and where they will live, when parents are no longer around to help.
- Support Groups for self-advocates and families
- Parents Day Out program that gives parents a few hours of respite each month knowing their children are being cared for in a safe, supervised environment.
- Educational advocacy to partner with families and schools to promote effective education for each child
- Adult Basic Education classes
- Cooking classes
- Art classes
- Creative Movement classes
Community Education . . .
Learn how to...
A Fiscally Responsible Nonprofit Organization . . .
The Arc is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization. We are proud of our strong fiscal responsibility. Our most recently filed 990 is available by visiting Guidestar, the national leader in providing nonprofit data. You may also download our 990 here. (PDF - 2.9MB).
Social Networking . . .
Visit us on Facebook! You can now stay in touch and receive updates for The Arc of Frederick County by joining us on Facebook. If you currently have a profile on Facebook, visit our page and become a fan! If you don't have an account but are interested, you can sign up here -- the process is quick, easy, and free.
Follow us on Twitter! Get short updates from The Arc while on the go!
Our Arc Blog is a place where our partners can enjoy getting a glimpse into the lives of people we serve and learn how Frederick County supports people to be active and contributing members of their communities.